9.22.2008

WE HAVE POWER!

It is like we won the lottery! We weren't supposed to get it until AFTER Thursday, but we got it today! YAY!

So here's what happened today:

-Wake up go to work.
-Don't do any work, immediately use the internet to begin the arduous search for a generator that is less than $700
-Proceed calling TONS of hardware stores and auto part stores only to repeatedly hear "I'm sorry we're sold out" over and over and over again.
-Get a nice guy at an O'Reilly's Auto Parts who offers to call around to their statewide distributors for me
-Nice guy calls back about 30 min later and tells me he has the generator you're looking for and it is $350 and he can have it there by 5pm if I pay up front. It's non-returnable because it is being shipped.
-Practically yell "I'll take it!" Into the phone
-Do a little happy dance in my cubicle


Later that day:

-Go home for lunch and notice fans are buzzing and clocks are blinking!
-We have power!!!!
-Do another happy dance
-Immediately call the generator guy and beg him to let you back out on the generator that has already been shipped (oops!)
(Fortunately he let us. I will now forever be an O'Reilly's customer)

We are so happy to wash clothes, have lights, and run the AC! Here are some of the pictures we were able to take. The ones of the real destruction aren't on the computer yet, I'll send those later. These are ones just taken around our neighborhood as we were driving home. It was basically a wall of branches and limbs on either side of the road.
We are grateful we suffered as little damage as we did. In talking with co-workers and hearing horrible stories from Galveston, we were truly blessed throughout the whole thing.

10 comments:

emily said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! Although, maybe you should've hung on to the generator--even Tyler wants to buy one now...

Amber said...

Great news. Hooray. I'll do a happy dance for you when I'm done writing this :)

Tricia and Michael said...

YEA POWER!!

Nancy said...

We're so happy for you both-that you have powere and that your damage was not as bad as it could've been. Maybe you should get that generator anyway and a way of not needing it ever again!

Unknown said...

Yippee! Wonderful surprise, and cool that you could back out of the generator. You guys were blessed and we are so glad!

Nancy said...

Boy, did I not proor-read my comment. Hey, Scott, did you get my email? Write me back, OK? Love, Mom

Nancy said...

Boy, did I not proor-read my comment. Hey, Scott, did you get my email? Write me back, OK? Love, Mom

Nancy said...

Boy, did I not proor-read my comment. Hey, Scott, did you get my email? Write me back, OK? Love, Mom

Nancy said...

Good grief, Now what. Maybe posting is too advanced for me.

Tricia and Michael said...

will you PLEASE post a pic of your quilt top??? i'm DYING to see it!! or send me a pix or something!!!