10.19.2010

Holy Excitement Batman!

First, I have to start by saying that Heavenly Father is AMAZING! I will spare you most of the story because the post would be stinkin' long, but I got a job. Not only did I get a job, but the job just kind of fell into my lap at the exact time that we needed it and solves SOOOO many problems all at once.

Here is the short version...yes it is the short version.

I have been contemplating getting my PhD after I graduate in May, but I need more research experience in order to satisfy most admission requirements. Well, because I am in the internship portion of my degree, I don't have as much time on my hands to devote free labor to research studies on campus. Plus, I have been feeling that I need to return to work to prepare a little bit more for the future. Sadly, there is not enough time in the day (or energy in my body) to do internship, research, and work. After realizing this and feeling like I needed to pick between work or the possibility of a PhD, I started to pray...a lot...about what to do. When I was feeling a little desperate for an answer I got an email. One of my professor's wife needed someone to work for her on a research study she is involved in and he was wondering if I would be interested. After replying and interviewing for about 3 weeks I GOT THE JOB! Now, this is exciting for many reasons.

1. The study is a national multi-site study run through the NIH. This means that it looks REALLY good on a resume in the research department

2. The Houston site is run out of the Memorial Hermann Prevention and Recovery Center which was ranked the #1 site for substance abuse in the nation last year...also looks really good on a resume

3. The job pays a lot more than what I had calculated we would need

4. I get to make my own hours

5. The study is a 2 year study so I am guaranteed a job for 2 years!

6. They are flying me to Dallas for a national training, and I get to see my family on someone elses dime!

So, as I said, this job is solving a lot of issues for me all at once! I am now able to make more than I would have, get the research experience I need to go for a PhD if I want to, and it has provided me with answers and solutions to some things that I had been praying about!

The study is looking at exercise as an adjunct to residential treatment for people with stimulant abuse issues (cocain addiction, etc.). It has two parts: the experimental condition implements an excercise program for the patient and the control condition implements health education modules to provide the same amount of attention to the patient that they would recieve in the exercise condition. I am the Health Education Facilitator, so I run the control condition! I'm so stinkin' excited and so grateful that Heavenly Father answers prayers!

7 comments:

emily said...

Whoa! Well I can barely understand any of that except you are really excited! And thats great! Congrats!

Barlow Fam said...

Now that's awesome! What a blessing, amazing how Heavenly Father always knows exactly what's best for us. Congrats on an amazing blessing!

Tricia and Michael said...

HOORAY!!! Congrats girl. So glad its all coming together for you- you deserve it!

Nancy said...

That sounds amazing. I'm soooo happy for you! Does this mean that you guys will definitely be in Houston for 2 more years?

Spanky and Family said...

Congrats on the job!! I'm excited that it all came together and then some.

Unknown said...

Most exciting news! Congratulations, I don't think it could have worked out better. Good luck!

Neil and Steph said...

That's great!! Congratulations on the new job! Sounds very fun :)